At HealFlow Wellness Centre we always offer the most effective treatments to our clients in Toronto. And we know that one of the main needs of many people is to lose weight to recover their quality of life; obesity and overweight are not a merely aesthetic issue, it also has to do with the comprehensive well-being and health.
For this reason, some of our clients, concerned about their overweight, have asked us if acupuncture is used as a treatment to lose weight. And that’s why we decided to write this blog.
But before we answer, let’s share some health benefits of being at a healthy weight.
5 health benefits of losing weight
- Losing weight will give you a higher quality of rest because ridding the body of excess fat can also help relieve sleep apnea and snoring. There is even research showing that losing 5% of your body weight can help you sleep better and longer at night.
- According to experts, weight loss has also been linked to increased testosterone levels and increased libido and sexual desire, by stimulating sex hormones.
- If you lose weight with holistic therapies, a balanced diet, and exercise, you will release feel-good chemicals called endorphins. That will put you in a good mood.
- Our joints already take a beating from daily wear and tear, but the extra weight makes things more difficult. In simpler words, losing weight helps your skeleton and your joints, which translates into less pain overall.
- Losing weight in a balanced, sustainable, and professionally supported way strengthens the immune system and supports the general functioning of the body. That is, weight loss can reduce the risk of health problems and dependence on certain medicines.
Although we can be clear about all these advantages of losing weight, achieving it is not always easy. There are a thousand and one personal conditions that can influence the process mainly due to imbalances in the body.
For that reason, one of the most effective treatments naturally is acupuncture.
Why does acupuncture help lose weight?
As we have mentioned in other blog articles, acupuncture involves the stimulation of energy meridians in the body, to restore health.
It is a technique considered alternative medicine whose results have been endorsed by the World Health Organization (WHO).
To perform this technique, fine needles are placed at specific points on the body. These needle insertions are practically painless and do not cause much discomfort; they are kept for about 15 minutes and carefully removed.
There are places where it can be placed to reduce appetite and calm anxiety (many people overeat for this reason), for example.
This treatment also works because with acupuncture you can reduce any type of localized fat, due to its stimulating effect and its ability to cause non-aggressive natural liposuction.
In simpler words, with the needles the body’s flow is stimulated, vital energy is activated, more calories are burned, appetite is reduced, anxiety about food is reduced and the activity of the metabolism increases.
Acupuncture also helps with mood. When a person feels good emotionally, they can make better food decisions and will feel like exercising or other healthy practices.
It is important to clarify that, although we use acupuncture to lose weight and get healthier, we are not exempt from the need to establish healthy habits such as a balanced diet, physical activity, sleeping well and hydrating ourselves every day.
In other words, to achieve optimal health you must have a healthy lifestyle and combine it with acupuncture.
With acupuncture, what we are going to achieve is that the results of eating well and exercising are prolonged over time, improving the functioning of the body and balancing it.
In summary, there are three main benefits of acupuncture for weight loss.
Benefits of acupuncture for weight loss
- Our metabolism speeds up, thanks to the fact that acupuncture stimulates the entire energy flow of the body.
- Restores and minimizes our state of stress and anxiety. So that we understand each other, being more relaxed or calm, the patient will have less desire to eat. You will feel full before meals and your feeling of hunger will also be reduced.
- Those points are stimulated so that the patient has a state of mind that is as balanced as possible, helping them not to overeat due to stress, anxiety, or depression.
Contact us if you want to lose weight with acupuncture or benefit from other great benefits of this ancient practice. We will give you personalized and professional attention.